- ALL attendees must be fully vaccinated prior to registering for the conference
- You must submit a photo of your vaccine card in order to complete registration
Currently we have a technical issue with attaching file during registration. Please email to email@example.com
- Bring multiple masks, plan to practice social distancing and frequent hand washing/sanitizer use
- We are monitoring the situation closely, so additional measures (including booster jabs) may be added if necessary
- T-Shirts: Order while you register. We might add some ABS masks too!
- Single-Day Tickets: we hope you can come for the entire event, but individual days are also an option (coming later in August)
- Extra Meal Tickets: for folks coming with you who only want to join us for a meal or two (coming in September)
Wednesday, September 29, 2021
- 11 am – 3 pm – ABS Board Meeting at Daphne’s Farm; all members invited to attend; register separately so we have a count for lunch
- 4 – 7 pm – Welcome/Meet & Greet – at Perry Holiday Inn Express (BYOB in your hotel room only)
Thursday, September 30, 2021
- Spend the day at Bamboo Farming USA, owned by Daphne Lewis, in Hawkinsville GA. The farm has eleven major bamboo plantings, each 7 years old, and many smaller plantings of various ages.
- Mingle with bamboo people, listen to speakers, eat lunch and dinner, and wander the farm. In addition to speakers & panel sessions, there will be grove tours, charcoal making and perhaps pole hauling by steers (bovines).
- Thomsen Bamboo is located at the farm. Tom will be there to demonstrate from using bamboo–pole to candle to charcoal.
- Bring items for the silent auction. Set up a booth if you like.
- Meals will be catered at the farm (included in ticket price)
Friday, October 1, 2021
- We will be visiting the Ocmulgee Mounds National Historic Park, which has an ongoing program to revive and replant the native Canebrake collection along the river and wetlands. We can walk the beautiful grounds to see cane used in ancient ceilings and walls.
- Lunch: catered picnic on grounds (included in ticket price)
- Next tour the historic USDA germplasm collection for bamboo at the Fruit and Tree Nut Research Laboratory in Byron GA, where we will talk with Mike Hotchkiss, scientist and bamboo lover, and Melanie Harrison-Dunn, curator of grasses for USDA.
- Final stop is back to Daphne’s Farm for optional workshops and/or panel discussions.
- LIVE PLANT AUCTION @ 5pm!
Saturday, October 2, 2021
- We begin at the Moso grove of Tobaris Holmes in Unadilla. Tobaris and his family will show you the grounds and talk of “learning from mistakes” and future plans.
- Next we will head to The Columns of Georgia in Hawkinsville for real “Southern Luncheon” (included in ticket price)
- Next we’ll drive on to Odum, GA to visit the home of Kay and Jaap Kopperdrayer. The Koppedrayers build and sell traditional bamboo arrows and bows. Jaap is a renowned maker of bamboo bows both traditional Japanese or any style. We will tour their groves and they will demonstrate their modern Taiwanese bamboo processing machines for splitting poles and planing the split for perfect lamination.
- We’ll end the day with dinner in a local restaurant with more bamboo camaraderie and discussion. Dinner is not included in ticket price.
Sunday, October 3, 2021
Optional workshops and/or touring; we’ll provide a map and more information on each bamboo grove/nursery
- ABS 2021 Conference - ALL
September 29, 2021 - October 3, 2021
11:00 am - 6:00 pm