A project of the American Bamboo Society (ABS), a California
non-profit scientific and literary charitable corporation, tax-exempt under
section 501 (c)-3. Contributions to this project are tax-deductible under
federal and California laws.
BOTA: Our Mission
Bamboo of the Americas is a non-profit conservation action organization
established to ensure the sustained viability of native bamboo species
throughout the Americas. Native bamboo plants and habitat are disappearing rapidly. A solution is to cooperate with and assist regional botanic gardens and ecological institutions by establishing living and herbarium collections in
Our Assistance Program Objectives
- To establish national collections of native bamboo species.
- To research and document the growth habits and ecology of native
bamboo,including endangered species and ensure their sustained futurethrough the
training of students, propagation efforts and habitat restoration.
- To implement human resources and economic plans for the distribution and
utilization of selected native bamboo species.
- To work together with local residents, indigenous groups, regional,
national, and international government agencies and NGOs for the conservation of
native bamboo resources.
- To enhance the awareness of the benefits of bamboo through eco-tourism and
other educational activities.